Sunday, December 12, 2010

stargirl


some of you know me.
and because you know me, you know I'm somewhat of a grouchy pants.
(you're probably thinking, "...somewhat??"

Gideon won't admit it when I get into these charming moods, but I can tell when they come. I'm fairly confident most regular people suffer from occasional grouchiness, but I hate it when I find myself uncontrollably moody. Wow. Just listen to me. "Uncontrollably moody"? Yeesh, Alyssa. Clearly, I have the free agency to control myself, and I'm just having a difficult time doing so. 

Anyway, it's been an annoying few weeks. I keep letting things get me down; simple things that shouldn't bother me. I get frustrated with people and find the little voice inside my head saying dreadful things. In this state, I don't deserve any blessings, let alone the magnificent ones that surround me daily: family/friends/home/health/food/employment/vehicles to name just a few. 

Imagine my surprise when I received a charming gift from a dear friend in the mail. 
It's not my birthday, or even Christmas yet. But she sent it just the same.

With the book she sent a note that made me feel like I'm worth a million bucks. Isn't it amazing how right at the peak of a crap week, Heavenly Father sends us friends who give us a little boost? I cried just a little when I read the sweet hand written note and held the book in my hand. 

And I sat down immediately to read it.
Have any of you ever read 
stargirl?

It's a lovely story about individuality. It's actually about alot more. But you'll just have to read it. 
I'd never read it before, and I became totally wrapped up in the idea of a creature totally unafraid to be completely natural regardless of what others think. I wish I could be like that. I wish I could ignore superficiality that the world thrusts down on me and confidently stand on my own mountain of uniqueness. 


It's not a huge secret that I'm a little awkward or as I like to describe myself, "quirky" (which I'm pretty sure is just a nice way of saying 'weird'). 

Secretly, I'm fine with that. 

But I'm not always ok with people knowing that I'm fine with my idiocyncratic qualities. Lots of times I pretend that I'm a lot cooler than I actually am. And yes, I just used the word 'cooler'. At least I don't say 'I'm jiggy with that'. (At least not a regular basis.) Reading about stargirl made me so grateful for people who know who they are and are comfortable in their own skin. Somedays I am. Somedays I'm not. I think when I am though, I'm able to open my eyes to things that are more important than myself. I wish I could always be grateful for everything around me; not worrying about what people would think, just consumed with gratitude and smiles.


The book is a masterpiece. I highly recommend it to all. 
And mountains, rivers and oceans of thanks to stephanie for sending me such a sparkling delight.

Night, friends.


2 comments:

  1. Stargirl and Love, Stargirl are two of my all time favorite books! I wish I could be more like her! I think you are amazing! Don't let the world bring you down. You are a special, cherished daughter of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stargirl is one of my favorites! Glad someone finally introduced you. I haven't read the other books, but I could never forget her. Have you tried challenging yourself to do something you've been afraid of. Guess what, it's not as hard as you thought!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...